Sunday, September 28, 2014

Six Steps of Dressage, Naturally

A little while back, I listed to a webinar with Karen Rohlf in which she listed the six steps she guides students through in her online course, The Virtual Arena. I wrote them down, feeling that just having that guideline to structure my planning was a huge benefit. Unfortunately, I then misplaced my notes and have been wondering what those six steps were.

Well, Karen just release a new series of free videos, focusing on the most frequent questions she hears that keep people "stuck." The videos are EXCELLENT, and if you haven't seen them yet, I suggest you check them out HERE. In the fourth video, Karen reviewed the six steps again, and this time I am NOT misplacing my notes. I am going to list them right here:
  1. Foundation Check-Up & Understand the Big Picture
  2. Establish Conversations About Relaxation, Energy & Balance
  3. Explore & Enjoy the Sweet Spot
  4. Sweet Spot for Rider Position
  5. Riding in Connection with the Reins
  6. Understanding Gymnastic Exercises
I didn't really need to be re-inspired to follow Karen's program, but the videos were a nice shot-in-the-arm nonetheless. And if you read my post "Super Horse!" the other day, you'll know I gleaned some helpful ideas from them! Finn and I are in step 2 of the process outlined above, which is super exciting! I just can't help but grin when I think of all the progress we'll make working through this stuff in the next six months!

In particular, I am so excited just to get to Step 3. Finn is such an interesting mover... because he can absolutely move really well, with a LOT of fluidity and reach and spring, but his nature often keeps him from moving as well as he might, because he carries a good bit of tension. I can't wait to help him unlock his potential, empower him to find freedom and relaxation in movement, and see just how lovely and powerful this little horse can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment