Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Lackluster

You know, I didn't have the most super-est ride on Finn today, but there was a lot to be thankful for. First off, the air was clear! We could breathe! It was lovely.

Second, Finn seemed happy. He gave me a big whinny when he saw me coming, which always warms my heart. The lump on his nose is smaller than it was yesterday, so chances are good the porcupine encounter will have no ill-effects. We were far from perfect harmony, but we enjoyed each others' company and were both happy and healthy, and that's what really counts.

We rode with the flag for the first time ever, and Finn was stupendous. To be honest, I was ten times more nervous than he was. That was good for me to feel, because it is something I need to work on. We've made so much progress this year, but it is clear that there is still much we need to dig through together. Just think how much stronger we'll be, how much more I'll trust him, and how much more he'll trust me, when we've filled these subtle, easily hidden holes in our partnership.

I had an interesting play at Liberty with Finn to warm up, mostly because I didn't have a line longer than my 12' lead rope, which wasn't terribly well suited to what I wanted to do. What I wanted to do was focus on availability and freedom... so the confinement of the 12' line was a bit contradictory.

While some nice stuff occurred, I think the reason I feel a little blah about the whole session is because I was paying too much attention to the contrast between what I have now and what I would like to have between us. For whatever reason, that was weighing on me today. And I'm going to just be okay with that, since I know inspiration and motivation will return.

Last note... Finn is putting his winter fuzz on, and has developed some patches of white hairs along both sides of his spine about where the center of my saddle sits. This is somewhat discouraging, because it could WELL be an indication of a significant amount of pressure being put there when I ride. Since my saddle is treeless, this wouldn't exactly be a surprise.

Subtle, but definitely there.
What can I say, the treeless saddle has never really sat right with me... but I have used it anyway because Finn didn't seem to be complaining; nor did his posture seem to be deteriorating. After all, this is the horse that moved like an upside down giraffe before he'd ever worn a saddle. While he is not to a point where he is engaging and using himself exceptionally well, he mostly carries his neck at a relaxed level and feels loose, which seems appropriate for his level of training.

To be honest, I am on the fence about how exactly to move forward. There is part of me that wants to put my Ansur up for sale right away and never ride in it again, and there is a part of me that thinks, all things considered, will it really do any harm to keep riding him in it a little while longer? I have two Thorowgood test ride saddles on back order from SmartPak... hopefully they come soon, and hopefully we love them! As to whether or not I will ride in the Ansur in the meantime... probably so. But I will likely limit the amount of time I spend in the saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment