Saturday, June 7, 2014

Bring it Home, Chrome!

I’m settling in on my living room couch for approximately two and a half hours of build up to the 2014 Belmont Stakes and, of course:


To simplify a complicated thing, I’m excited. Is racing a perfect sport? Far from it. I wouldn’t say I love it, but I can’t deny that it speaks to me. I feel it in my heart when I watch an epic race… Zenyatta winning the 2009 Breeder’s Cup Classic, or losing the same race in 2010. Rachel Alexander winning the 2009 Preakness Stakes. California Chrome conquering the Preakness Stakes only three weeks ago…

I know that a lot of horses don’t get a fair shake at the racetrack, but I believe that there are horses who do. And I believe there are horses that understand, enjoy and thus excel at the life of a racehorse. Certainly in the last three weeks the glimpse we’ve all gotten into California Chrome’s life leads me to believe he’s a happy horse, and a well-loved one, too.

So, bring it home, Chrome. I hope you find wings on your feet and a clear track ahead of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment