Monday, June 9, 2014

The Week Ahead

This coming weekend, I’m braiding at the first of three (possibly 4) shows in a row. Between the impending time crunch and my recent decision to start incorporating some preparation for jumping into our routine, I’m feeling a need to spend a little time laying out my week to optimize our productivity. Including yesterday, I had five days to ride this week. Ordinarily, I ride in the morning before I head out to braid, but the Western States Horse Expo is also this weekend, and I’ve chosen to sacrifice a ride for the chance to stop in there on my way to the Bay.

Yesterday evening, I had a liberal amount of time and was eager to get started on my new plan to start Finn’s jumping prep. So I did just about everything… reintroducing the idea of ground poles on line, continuing to build Finn’s confidence carrying the flag while doing our groundwork, cycling through the basic exercises from the Buck clinic, and walking and trotting over single poles under saddle. I was really pleased with Finn’s response to trotting the poles under saddle, something we’d never done before. Essentially, he asked, “Are you sure?” A quiet, “I am,” was all it took for him to commit, too.

Today, I’ve enlisted R to come to the barn and take some video, something I have really been wanting for the last few weeks. Our footwork feels much more accurate lately and I’d like to see if I’m on to something or just delusional. Additionally, I’ve been playing with our soft feel quite a bit and I’d like to see how it’s looking. For the record, I’d also like video of Finn carrying the flag during our groundwork. And considering the timing, I probably won’t be able to resist getting some “this is where we started!” footage of our journey to jumping. So, while I ordinarily wouldn’t plan it this way, today’s ride is probably going to be quite similar to yesterday’s. It’s okay; Finn will forgive me.

Tuesday, I’ll shift gears and keep building on our confidence riding out around the farm. I practice a lot of the same basic exercises during these rides, which is helping Finn realize it’s not a big deal. I try to maintain a mindset that the driveways become my arena, instead of letting riding out feel like something totally different.

Wednesday, I believe I’m heading out trail riding with S, which means we’ll work on whatever is appropriate for the trail we pick and the horse that shows up that day.

Thursday, we might go out on the trail again. If not, I’ll probably combine a little practice with the ground rails on line and under saddle with a ride around the farm afterwards, practicing our basic exercises. In addition, when I’m riding out, I always try to take advantage of the excellent opportunity to improve my focus and get Finn following my focus with more commitment and confidence.

This is the first time I’ve planned out a week in this level of detail in quite a while. It has made me think it might also be time to pick up my Dressage, Naturally book and start looking at how I might start in on the very basics of Finn’s dressage to keep pace with his jumping. Again, there’s a part of me that feels not ready, but I also think the interaction between foundation and specialization is a lot more fluid than my perfectionist personality tends to believe. So, there might very well be exercises in the D, N book I can begin to play with, and they might very well show me where my foundation needs work. That is how it should be.

I feel compelled to conclude by pointing out that my plans are always flexible. Although the weather in Nevada is usually cooperative, you never know. And though Finn is fairly consistent, I promise to meet him where he’s at, regardless of my agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment