Wednesday, June 4, 2014

My Vision

“To the person who does not know where he wants to go there is no favorable wind.”
~Seneca

I’ve spent too much of the last five years proving the above quote right. When you don’t know where you’re going, it’s hard to make progress. While I, for the most part, enjoyed my horses, things remained stagnant for a very long time.

For me, knowing where I want to go got a lot harder when I chose to define it myself. I hadn’t quite realized how convenient it was to let someone, some program or some sport define it for you. Out here in the wild world of being an independent horsewoman, I was confronted with MANY different ways to approach horses, even within a fairly narrow sample of ALL the possibilities. After releasing the desire to believe that one was “right,” I began to accept this truth: having a strong vision of the desired result is the only meaningful measuring stick for deciding which way is mine.

So, I set out to clarify my vision, because the vague idea I’d been packing around inside my head wasn’t doing me much good, and I thought a written version would be stronger. Better yet, a version I can verbally articulate, in a way that makes sense to anyone, in less than 60 second… For today, we’ll settle for the former.

My vision for my horsemanship and relationship with Finn:

Partnership based on mutual benefit. The benefit I derive from our partnership is pretty well a given, but I want the deal to be good for Finn, too. That’s why I strive to understand him, and why I ask myself frequently: why should he want to be with me? It falls on me to offer a compelling reason.

Versatility. A genuine partnership is revealed when a horse and rider can meet any situation with aplomb. Partners can perform any task safely and with a basic level of proficiency. Trail rides, clinics, dressage shows, cow-working… I’m not limiting my range with Finn.

Health and longevity through balanced movement and quality care. I’m not satisfied unless my horses THRIVE. In the last few years, my awareness of the role riding plays in this has increased tenfold, which means I’m pushing myself to learn to ride in a way that augments Finn’s health and soundness instead of undermining it.

Eventing through Prelim. When I first embarked on this study of natural horsemanship journey, I expected to be back to eventing in a year. Eleven years later, what can I do but laugh? Still, I never lost my love for this sport, nor my desire to participate in it again. I schooled Prelim fences, but never competed at that level, so it’s a goal that feels daunting and absolutely right.

As visions go, this one feels like it fits me. I think I’ll quite like the woman I’ll become in its pursuit. I bet I’ll REALLY like the horse Finn will become, too. So, for now, I am content to own this, live by it, and consult it in times of confusion. When it helps me make intelligent decisions about my horsemanship, I’ll know it’s working.

No comments:

Post a Comment